The September issue of our Newsletter is here (and on our Newsletters page) – news and comment on local planning issues, transport matters, Society and other local events (and Tooting wine!). And there are more details of the Society’s forthcoming events on our Events Programme page. Newly announced events include a Walk along the River Crane on Tuesday 14 October.
As well as updating our current website, we are working on a new one – watch this space!
The Wandsworth Society is a non-political community environment group, formed in 1971 (registered charity number 263737). In an area of London that is changing rapidly, we aim to:
- safeguard the character, quality and integrity of the built environment, open spaces and rivers (Wandle and Thames), in and around Wandsworth Town and Common;
- raise community awareness of the need for conservation and sensitive local development policies;
- contribute to local debate on environment and transport matters;
- influence decision-making on planning proposals, particularly to curb excessive or inappropriate development, but also to support new developments that are welcome;
- campaign for improved traffic management and public transport across the area; and
- improve the quality and enjoyment of life in Wandsworth for all its residents.
We aim to make a difference for the better, as the Wandsworth environment continues to change.
- through membership, affiliation or participation, the work and aims of -
The Civic Trust, www.civictrust.org.uk
The London Forum of Civic and Amenity Societies,
The Wandsworth Common Management Advisory Committee
The Wandsworth Cycling Campaign, www.wandsworthcyclists.org.uk
The Wandle Valley Forum www.wandlevalleypark.co.uk
The West London Rivers Group, www.wlrg.org.uk